Thursday, October 03, 2013

The trainbus canna cross it


a "restored, modernized" Model JZ812 in Subotica


Back in high school I have spent more time on these "transportation devices" than being drunk (OK, sometimes the two things overlapped) and that's not because I was so straight edge-ish, rather because of the fact these trainbuses were so slow, unreliable and seemingly loyal to no timetable.
Luckily, I was able to avoid them for years, 'cause back in those days I've got so fed up with the Serbian Rail company (Železnice Srbije, ŽS) and their neglect towards infrastructure and vehicles in Vojvodina that I said I would rather rub my d*ck in broken glass than spend another minute (and by minutes I mean long hours on one trip) on rail.
In the meantime, ŽS restored a few trainbuses, and after years of avoiding them, I thought what the hell, let's give 'em another chance, let's see if it's true that things got better. Well, they didn't.






This is considered a modern train. Go home JŽ, you're drunk!

It was a warm summer day, ideal for hitting the rail. Or so I thought. Being late 45 minutes in start doesn't sounds so ideal, but at least we didn't had to roll in the highest temperatures. One of the good things they did during the "restoration" is that they fixed the heating (back in the days it couldn't get turned off, so imagine how it felt sitting in a rolling metal coffin out in the direct sunlight, with the heating turned on inside. What air-conditioning?) The other is that they changed the original "benches" to these fancy bus seats...


This ain't no Rubik cube or Space Shuttle...

I traveled 110km, during this distance we arrived like 1.5h later than stated in time table. Nothing changed compared to the beginning of 2000's.

Surprisingly, the next day it ran out of the train station right on time, so I guess this was the first time in my life that I missed my train(bus). Nevermind, I caught the next one (that also rolled out almost on time) so I hoped for the best. Well, I shouldn't: we didn't even reached the first village, when:


Yupp, we ran over a 80-something year young grandpa on a motorcycle, who failed to notice a big ass bus on an open field, running like 20km/h at broad daylight. Of course, I don't blame the man and he sure had bigger problems at that moment than the few passengers who had to wait almost 2 hours 'til we could continue our trip, but on the other side, come on, it's a rail x-ing, you should pay more attention, even when you know our railroads aren't too much used...


Police and paramedics at the site of the accident. All respect to the pm for doing their best, and congrats to pigs for standing there for over 1h trying to figure out what's their job!

I wish to congratulate for the crew who didn't have the balls to go out and check on the victim for long minutes, then the police who arrived after 20min, not to mention the train company's own investigation units who were able to get up off their asses and come do their jobs for more than one hour. The only responsible people in this unfortunate situation were one woman on the train who provided first aid and the paramedics, who arrived on time to pack up the man and give him proper treatment.


This was shot after the accident - note the small indentation on the left corner, that happens when you hit a motorcycle at circa 20 km/h

So, even if everything goes by plan, unexpected shit can happen on these lines, so I will stand by my opinion: fuck Železnice Srbije and their stance towards their customers! Until they realize their company is here for the passengers and not the other way around, they will stay in dark ages! Dear assholes, you shouldn't look for your enemies in yards, laying under trains with spraycans in their bags, the real threat are in the chairs in your headquarters! I hope one day everyone would be able to afford to avoid your services and travel with alternative methods until you realize how much you suck and pull your shit together!


Coming home. The trainbus on the left is the original model.

Of course, I don't encourage vandalism and/or illegal activities, but if you feel the need to express your creativity on some rolling steel, you can start with practicing on these training pads!

No comments: